Most people think of inflammation as redness, swelling, or pain when the body is responding to various injuries. Inflammation is normal when the body is stressed, injured, or fighting outside germs. Inflammation is our body’s response to these stresses and the inflammation itself actually helps in the body’s healing process. However, inflammation can also take a very unhealthy form. If our body is not balanced appropriately it can go into a state of chronic inflammation.
Chronic inflammation is not a helpful state of inflammation. In fact, it is thought to disrupt the entire immune system and lead to other very significant health concerns such as heart disease, arthritis, immune disorders, and can even contribute to faster aging. So what can you do to battle chronic inflammation? You could go to the doctor and receive prescriptions for a variety of NSAIDs or steroids that work to temporarily relieve the side effects of chronic inflammation. You could then also be plagued by a variety of nasty side effects that come with those prescription medications. NSAIDs and steroids have been linked with some very serious long term side effects such as an overall weakened immune system
Fortunately for you there are other options that come straight from nature and will not plague you with all the ill side effects. In fact, just adding a few of these foods that are known to reduce inflammation in the body can help reduce the effects of chronic inflammation.
Here is a list of 10 foods that you should add to your diet to help combat chronic inflammation:
- Wild Caught Salmon- Salmon is rich in Omega-3 fatty acid which is known to help battle chronic inflammation. Other fatty fish such as cod or sardines can also provide much needed Omega-3s.
- Spinach and Dark Leafy Greens- Dark leafy greens provide a rich source of the antioxidant carotenoids. Carotenoids are known to reduce inflammation and at the same time you can increase your Vitamin E intake.
- Turmeric- Turmeric is a spice that is loaded with curcumin. Curcumin is another fantastic inflammation reducer.
- Broccoli- If you have inflammation of the eyes, broccoli is the perfect food for you. Broccoli is rich in Vitamin C and Calcium which can help reduce inflammaton.
- Green Tea- Green Tea is filled with flavonoids that help reduce inflammation. Green Tea has been shown to reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.
- Blueberries- Blueberries are a superfood and for very good reason. Blueberries are rich in phytonutrients that help ward off inflammation.
- Sweet Potatoes- Sweet potatoes contain vitamin C, vitamin B6, and beta carotenes. These vitamins and antioxidants work together to form an inflammation fighting powerhouse.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- When cooking with oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil should be the oil of choice to reduce inflammation. EVOO is rich in polyphenols which are inflammation fighters.
- Avocado- Avocados contain Omega-3 fatty acids which help combat inflammation.
- Nopal Cactus- Nopal Cactus juice is a fantastic superfood rich in betanin and indicaxanthin, two power antioxidants that help reduce inflammation.
Why use potentially harmful NSAIDs and steroids for chronic inflammation relief when Mother Nature provides natural inflammation reducers without the side effects? Making these key changes in your diet can help increase your immune system, fight the aging process, and keep inflammation at bay.